The Edvard Grieg Society of America was established to further knowledge and appreciation of the music of Edvard Grieg in the United States. To that end, a limited number of grants are available (now disbursed by the Edvard Grieg Society of the Dakotas) to qualified individuals or groups each year to support performance and/or research in America. Grants may range from $100 – $500.
Proposals for the next grant must be submitted by January 31, 2023, for an event taking place between March 1, 2023, and February 28, 2024. No grants are issued for a past event.
Scholars, individual performers, and groups with knowledge of and involvement with Grieg’s music may apply for a grant. Members of the Grieg Society boards are not eligible for grants although they may sponsor applications for projects. In such cases, grant funds would go, specifically, to non-board members involved in the project. Grant recipients must be U.S. citizens.
Awardees must devote their project—or their portion of the event—exclusively to the music and life of Edvard Grieg, and performances must be open to the public. Special consideration will be given to research and events that introduce Grieg’s music to a new audience.
Applications/proposals must be submitted by email as a PDF attachment to email@example.com. The proposal must include the following:
1. Applicant(s) name, address, phone, e-mail, and a bio or CV describing past involvement with Grieg, including any awards or grants for past Grieg projects.
2. Statement of purpose for the grant in one or two sentences.
3. Description of the event or project in one 200-250-word paragraph.
4. Specific date, time, and location of the event or, in the case of a scholarly work, intentions for publication or other dissemination.
5. Names and biographies of participants.
6. Projected budget for the entire event or research project including performer’s fees, application fees, advertising, hall and piano rental, and other operating expenses.
7. Specific use for the funds requested.
8. Perceived outcome of the event or research project.
Proposals will be reviewed by the Edvard Grieg Society of the Dakotas Grant Review Committee, and acceptance or denial of a proposal will be given by email to the applicant by March 1, 2023.
A report of the outcome of the activity will be due within one month of the completion of the project or event. The report must include attendance numbers, any reviews or publicity from the media, and a one-page summary describing the event. In the case of scholarly writing, submit the finished work. Please include a high-quality photo of the grant recipient or recipients as well as a photo from the event, if applicable, for publicity purposes. The Edvard Grieg Society of the Dakotas should be acknowledged as a sponsor in printed programs and/or announcements to audiences. If printed programs are used, an electronic copy or photo should be sent as an attachment with the report.
For questions or other information, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org