The online premiere includes a welcome & message from South Dakota Governor Kristi Noem, a message from South Dakota Artist Laureate Dale Lamphere, music from singer/songwriter Eliza Blue recorded at the Matthews Opera House in Spearfish, the inaugural Governor’s Student Art Competition selections and the presentation of the awards.
Recipients of this year’s awards are:
- John Lopez, Lemmon, for Distinction in Creative Achievement;
- The Pat & Dale Larson Family, Brookings, for Outstanding Support of the Arts by an Individual;
- John Banasiak, Vermillion, for Outstanding Service in Arts Education;
- Brookings Arts Council, Brookings, for Outstanding Support of the Arts by an Organization or Business;
- Cloud Horse Art Institute, Kyle, for Outstanding Support of the Arts to Native Nations with Lands in South Dakota.
Arts South Dakota and the South Dakota Arts Council co-sponsor the Governor’s Awards to recognize individuals and businesses who have made a statewide impact through artistic excellence or outstanding support of the arts. The classifications for these awards are:
- Distinction in Creative Achievement: Nominees in this lifetime achievement category should be individual artists who have made significant contributions in any of the various arts disciplines.
- Outstanding Service in Arts Education: Nominees in this lifetime achievement category should be individuals who have made significant contributions to arts education as a teacher, mentor or catalyst.
- Outstanding Support of the Arts by an Individual: Nominees in this lifetime achievement category should be individuals who have made outstanding contributions in supporting and encouraging the arts with their time, talent or funding.
- Outstanding Support of the Arts by an Organization or Business: Nominees in this lifetime achievement category should be an organization, business or corporation that has demonstrated leadership in supporting and encouraging the arts through time, talent and funding, or by funding and presenting projects by South Dakota artists for public education and enjoyment.
- Outstanding Support of the Arts to Native Nations with Lands in South Dakota: This award will be given to an individual, organization or business from South Dakota that has made significant contributions through the arts to Native nations with lands in South Dakota. The recipient will have demonstrated strong arts traditions and revitalization in Native communities by promoting social justice and cultural understanding.
Questions? Email us!
Nominations for the 2021 Governor’s Awards were open September 1 – November 30, 2020.
Thank you to our
The Governor’s Awards in the Arts are sponsored by Arts South Dakota and the South Dakota Arts Council.
South Dakota Arts Council support is provided with funds from the State of South Dakota,
through the Department of Tourism, and the National Endowment for the Arts.
The Governor’s Awards in the Arts is produced by Pinnacle Productions. Elevate your event. http://www.pinnacleprodj.com