FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
August 31, 2020
For more information, contact:
Shari Kosel, Program & Communications Director
Nominations open for 25th biennial Governor’s Awards in the Arts
Arts South Dakota and the South Dakota Arts Council co-sponsor the biennial Governor’s Awards in the Arts to recognize individuals and businesses that have made a statewide impact through artistic excellence or outstanding support of the arts.
Nominations are open through November 15. More information about the awards and nomination forms are available at ArtsSouthDakota.org. The classifications for these awards are:
- Distinction in Creative Achievement: Nominees in this lifetime achievement category should be individual artists who have made significant contributions in any of the various arts disciplines.
- Outstanding Service in Arts Education: Nominees in this lifetime achievement category should be individuals who have made significant contributions to arts education as a teacher, mentor or catalyst.
- Outstanding Support of the Arts by an Individual: Nominees in this lifetime achievement category should be individuals who have made outstanding contributions in supporting and encouraging the arts with their time, talent or funding.
- Outstanding Support of the Arts by an Organization or Business: Nominees in this lifetime achievement category should be an organization, business or corporation that has demonstrated leadership in supporting and encouraging the arts through time, talent and funding, or by funding and presenting projects by South Dakota artists for public education and enjoyment.
- Outstanding Support of the Arts to Native Nations with Lands in South Dakota: This award will be given to an individual, organization or business from South Dakota that has made significant contributions through the arts to Native nations with lands in South Dakota. The recipient will have demonstrated strong arts traditions and revitalization in Native communities by promoting social justice and cultural understanding.
The Governor’s Awards in the Arts will be presented at Drifters Bar & Grille in Fort Pierre on February 10, 2021. Nominations may be made by an organization, institution or individual and must be submitted by November 15, 2020. Employees and board members of Arts South Dakota and the South Dakota Arts Council are not eligible for these awards.
Materials to be submitted include the online nomination form and a brief personal history of the nominee and summary of accomplishments of the nominee, no more than three pages in length. Samples or representations of artists work are encouraged. Up to five letters of support may be uploaded. For a list of previous recipients and to nominate, visit ArtsSouthDakota.org.
Arts South Dakota, funded entirely by donor contributions and grants, is a nonprofit, non-partisan grassroots member corporation
whose primary purpose is to advance the arts in South Dakota through service, education and advocacy.
An office of the South Dakota Department of Tourism, the South Dakota Arts Council’s mission is to provide grants and services to artists, arts organizations and schools across the state with funding from the National Endowment for the Arts and the state of South Dakota.