Technical Production Manager
The Technical Production Manager provides a high level of customer service to resident performing arts organizations and facility renters to ensure all technical needs are met to the highest standard possible. The position works under the direct supervision of the Executive Director. The Technical Production Manager will supervise other sound and light technicians as well as general crew members and often volunteers for PACRC.
1. Production Manager of Performing Arts Center of Rapid City:
- Assist Executive Director in maintaining the yearly calendar of the PACRC including the 800 seat Historic Theater; 150 seat Studio Theater and various rehearsal and storage rooms.
- Determine, well in advance of event dates, all technical requirements, including lighting, sound, staging, projections and special needs, necessary for all events presented in the PACRC and communicate with event producers the technical capability of the PACRC and associated costs related to their event.
- Maintain open and effective communication with staff of Rapid City High School for school events in PACRC theaters.
- Recruit, train and schedule paid technical staff for individual shows, and/or help train volunteers in all aspects of technical live events, including: spotlight operators, stagehands, sound engineers, microphone technicians, projection operators, lighting operators, stage managers, livestream technicians, and the use of special effects.
- Operate, maintain and safeguard the technical assets of the PACRC, including lighting, sound, projection, communications, and staging equipment.
- Be available when possible to support activities at the PACRC in the event of critical technical issues or emergency scenarios.
- Oversee the maintenance and upkeep of stage, rehearsal, and storage facilities in cooperation with Rapid City Area Schools (the facility “landlord”).
- Perform preventive maintenance on equipment and arrange for repair and replacement when needed within budgetary constraints.
- Ensure that all PACRC and shared Rapid City High School spaces and assets are well organized, clean and present a professional appearance to all users.
- Ensure the safety and security of PACRC staff and volunteers through adherence to good safety practices and adherence to applicable safety regulations.
2. In partnership with Black Hills Community Theatre
- Hang and focus lights and prep all sound and projection equipment for all BHCT events.
- Train interns in the Black Hills Community Theatre Technical Theatre Internship program, in basic and advanced technical skills while ensuring intern safety. Work with BHCT staff to recruit and evaluate interns in the program.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
- A minimum four years professional experience in live event audio/visual or a Bachelor’s degree in audio/visual or technical theater and two or more years professional experience.
- A thorough knowledge of, and experience in sound, lighting and projection for all performing arts genres (intelligent lighting, led lighting, digital consoles, etc.).
- A working knowledge of other technical aspects of theatre, such as set design/building, rigging, scenic painting and stage management.
- Strong interpersonal communication, customer service and organizational skills.
- Some experience with theatrical lighting design or sound design are a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple and on-going projects to achieve the highest standards within the time, human resource and budgetary constraints available.
- Strong computer skills including MS Word and Excel, Q-Lab, audio editing software, AutoCad and/or Vectorworks.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Walk/stand extensively, kneel, climb ladders, climb to high walkways, work on elevated surfaces/lifts, balance, and maneuver throughout the venue.
- Must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Work inside and outside the building is required, may have some exposure to adverse conditions.
- Clarity of vision at 20 feet or more to focus and change stage lighting.
- Must be able to hear and speak to use intercom headsets or two-way radios and run sound systems.
This is a full-time position with flexible hours, including nights, weekends, and holidays.
Salary is $34K+, commensurate with experience, plus a group health plan
Send resume, cover letter, professional references and portfolio items that illustrate design skills to firstname.lastname@example.org