Our annual submission period runs from November 15 through February 15 of the following year. (We will begin accepting submissions again November 15, 2022 for our spring 2023 issue.)
Oakwood is the literary and arts annual of South Dakota State University, publishing the work of writers and artists of the Northern Great Plains region.
We define the Northern Great Plains region as those states that adjoin South Dakota (Minnesota, North Dakota, Iowa, Nebraska, Montana, Wyoming). By “writers and artists of,” we mean people who (a) live in this region now, or (b) had a significant, long-term relationship with this region but now live elsewhere.
We only accept work that has not been published before (with the exception of occasional solicited work, especially from our archives).
We publish a handsome print edition each spring, and contents are subsequently published on the web and archived through SDSU’s library. Issues from 2013-2022 can be viewed at: http://issuu.com/sdsuoakwood.
Submissions to Oakwood must adhere to the following requirements:
• Title and genre (poetry, art, fiction, etc.) of submission must appear in subject line.
• Indicate your relationship with the Northern Great Plains region in your submission email.
• Literary attachments must be in .doc or .docx format.
• Maximum length for literary submissions is 15 pages.
• Visual art attachments must be in .jpeg or .jpg format and at least 1MB in size.
• Submission limits: five poems or artworks, 3000 words for prose.
- If you were published in both the two most recent issues of Oakwood (2020 and 2022), please sit out this submission period and consider us again for the 2024 issue. If you were in only one of those, feel free to submit.
Please send all submission materials to email@example.com. This address may also be used for queries.