Opened in 1906, the Matthews Opera House was the setting for stage productions and traveling shows through the 1930’s. Now, as a nonprofit arts organization, they offer youth outreach, community engagement, performance arts and visual arts to the community of Spearfish.
The Matthews’ Mission
- To champion participation in the arts to inspire and connect the powerful creative force of our community, enriching lives now and securing our historic cultural legacy for the future
More information is available at https://www.matthewsopera.com
Position: The Matthews’ is seeking a Fundraising Coordinator to assist in managing the office, overseeing the donor database, and supporting the Executive Director. This position is located in Spearfish, South Dakota.
Candidate must believe in the value of the arts in the Spearfish community and the importance of the Matthews Opera House as a cornerstone of community life. Candidate must be high energy, outgoing, and comfortable conversing with a broad range of artists, patrons, business leaders and community visitors about all aspects of the arts center and its operations. Must have a mature demeanor and represent the Matthews in a professional manner. Good writing, spelling, budgeting, and organizational skills are required. Must also have a creative spirit and enjoy the arts.
The Fundraising Coordinator oversees the donor database, supports the Executive Director with fundraising duties, and assists with managing the office.
Primary areas of responsibility include:
- Manage the implementation of Neon One and develop processes and policies for data entry and gift processing
- Assist Executive Director in maximizing reach for fundraising efforts and increasing volunteer support
- Develop and provide reports on fundraising efforts
- Organize office operations and procedures
- Schedule meetings and appointments
- Provide general administrative support
- Maintain attribution documentation for granting organizations (Arts Midwest, Big Read, SD Arts Council)
- Work with FIP coordinator to increase vendor applications for FIP jurying and to increase patron traffic during the event, especially Friday evening attendance
- Assist with event requirements throughout the year including theater and gallery events – including set-up, tear-down, and hosting; actively engage in FIP support throughout the event weekend
- Assist with physical maintenance of MOH facility such as cleanup, sidewalk clearing, gallery work room maintenance
- Other duties as assigned
- Prior experience in non-profits, fundraising, organizing events and office management
- Strong written, oral and interpersonal communication skills.
- Strong planning, organizational and managerial skills.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office products and Google Drive.
- Knowledge of CRM systems, Neon One preferred
- Candidate must be able to lift up to 50 pounds, be comfortable climbing ladders, negotiate basement stairs, and stand/walk for an extended period of time outside.
This position reports to the Executive Director.
The Fundraising Coordinator position is part time, but provides an opportunity for the right individual to grow with the organization.
Hours will be set in agreement with Executive Director. Must be able to work a flexible schedule including daytime, evening, and weekend hours. Hourly pay starting at $15/hr.
Procedure for Applying
Applications should be sent to Darren Granaas, Executive Director. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. This position will remain posted until filled.
The Matthew’s provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Spearfish is a town of 12,000 in the northern Black Hills in South Dakota. Surrounded by unmatched natural beauty, Spearfish offers something for everyone. https://visitspearfish.com/
Matthews Opera House & Arts Center