The Clear Lake Arts Center, Clear Lake Iowa
Call to Sculptors 2019
For the inaugural exhibit in the Sukup Lakeside Courtyard
The Board of the Clear Lake Arts Center on behalf of their members, invites you to submit an application to participate in the first ever art exhibition in the Sukup Lakeside Courtyard. The Courtyard will place a select group of five, 3D art pieces for temporary display between June 1 and October 19th 2019.
Clear Lake, Iowa
Known as one of the region’s most-visited communities offering special attractions and activities year round, the city of Clear Lake and surrounding area experiences increased visitation especially during the summer months to tens of thousands. The Clear Lake Arts Center draws over 20,000 visitors annually. The grand opening of the Sukup Lakeside Courtyard will be June 15, 2019 offering a special celebration of this unique outdoor sculpture garden.
Call for Entries for Regional Sculptors
Application is open to professional, student and amateur sculptors of all backgrounds over the age of 18 residing or working in Iowa or surrounding states. Each of the five selected artists will retain ownership of their work and agree to loan it to the exhibition for the time specified. Selected artists will receive $800 stipend for the loan of their artwork payable after installation is complete and inspected by CL Art Center staff to assess stability. Pieces can be sold at any time during the exhibition but must remain in place for the duration. At the conclusion of the exhibition, a $500 award will go to the piece garnering the most votes as a “people’s choice.” Ten percent of any piece sold will go to the Clear Lake Arts Center to support next year’s exhibition. There is no application fee.
The sculptures for this inaugural exhibit will be chosen by a volunteer panel of Art Supporters selected by the Arts Center’s board of directors. Entries will be critiqued on artistic merit, creativity, innovation, technical skill and imagination. Consideration will be given suitability for family audiences. All submissions must be of sound construction able to remain in excellent condition during times of adverse weather, offering durability in an outdoor environment. Entries are selected from photographs and the description provided.
If you are interested in having your work considered, you may submit up to two entries. All work must be the original work of the artists: a first, in concept, composition and execution. Applications are open to professional, student and amateur sculptors of all backgrounds and over the age of 18 residing or working in Iowa or surrounding states. Sculpture must not present a safety risk to the public, should be able to withstand exposure to the elements and unsupervised interaction, and be maintenance-free for the duration of the exhibition. Artists must expect that sculpture may be climbed or marked on during exhibition. Artworks cannot exceed a sales value of $10,000.
- Complete the entry form and send along with all required information no later than April 5th
by 5:00 P.M. CST to:
Kathy Ingram, Board President
Clear Lake Arts Center
17 South 4th Street
Clear Lake, IA 50428
- Include a brief biography/resume outlining credentials and relevant experience with public art commissions
- Provide 3-5 photos (print, JPG or PDF) of each sculpture representing all sides of the artwork.
- Photos must be labeled or have accompanying document which indicates artist’s name, title of work, dimensions, weight and listed value.
- Include an artist’s statement about each entry (maximum 500 words)
- Explain how you will be installing and securing the sculpture when installed
- Indicate your ability to attend the grand opening event, Celebrate the Arts to be held on the evening of June 15th
Once applications are submitted and are being reviewed, it is the artist’s responsibility to contact the executive director of the CLAC immediately at 641-357-1998 or email@example.com if their work is no longer available.
Marketing and Promotion
- This inaugural exhibit will be well promoted throughout the region.
- The Clear Lake Arts Center reserves the right to reproduce and distribute artwork images through print and electronic media for promotion of the exhibit. This includes images submitted through the application process, as well as photos taken of the piece throughout the exhibition program year.
- A plaque is installed along with each sculpture that includes the title of the piece, the artist’s name, and the sale price. This information will also be included printed material distributed at the CLAC and on the website.
- The copyright for the work is retained by the artist.
It is the responsibility of the artist to transport the selected sculptures to and from Clear Lake, Iowa and install the art work at their own expense. There are three 4’x4’ and two 4’x5’ concrete bases available. Artworks need to be installed no later than June 1, 2019.
There is no height requirement. Lighting and power will not be provided.
The artist shall affix their art work with locking bolts or by spot welding to prevent tampering or removal of the art work by non-authorized parties. If you are attaching with bolts you need a concrete bit to secure your sculpture. These will not be provided to the artist.
2019 Project Timeline*
March 1Call to Sculptors
April 5Applications due
April 10-19Selection panel deliberations
April Selection notifications to Sculptors
On or before June 1**Delivery and Installation of artwork completed
June 15Grand opening, Sukup Lakeside Courtyard
October 19Exhibition end date/ deadline for removal of artwork
*Clear Lake Arts Center board reserves the right to change the project timeline
** Delivery prior to June 1 requires permission from the Arts Center Board president, Kathy Ingram.