Every two years, the College of Fine Arts awards one scholarship to a deserving student who is majoring in one of the fine arts departments, Art, Music, or Theatre. This scholarship is in honor of, and named after, Walter A. And Lucy Yoshioka Buhler. Recipients shall receive the designation of “Buhler Scholars.”
Students must initially meet the criteria as listed below.
- Applicants must major in art, music, or theatre at USD to be eligible for this award.
- Recipients shall be graduates of a South Dakota high school or be South Dakota residents.
- Incoming freshmen shall have a 3.5+ GPA and/or rank in the top 25% of their graduating class and demonstrate financial need.
- Recipients must maintain a 3.5+ GPA and have an ongoing financial need to remain eligible for ongoing scholarship support.
Subject to maintaining the GPA requisite, awards shall be approximately equal to in-state tuition and fees for twelve credit hours per semester per USD Financial Aid common practice for each year the student is enrolled as a full-time student at USD in the College of Fine Arts, up to four consecutive years.
To apply for this scholarship, students must respond to the essay questions below.
Answer the question in section A and one of the questions in section B.
- Must Answer: What role do you see yourself and the arts playing as contributors to a global society?
- Choose one of the following to answer:
Please describe your creative process as a visual and/or performing artist.
Please explain why you want to work in the arts (visual, performing and/or teaching), and describe your long-term goals as they relate to the arts and/or arts education.
Submit your answers to these essay questions postmarked by January 18, 2022 to the address below.
Put your name, address and phone number on the top of the essay.
Dean’s Office, Buhler Scholarship
College of Fine Arts
The University of South Dakota
414 E. Clark Street
Vermillion, SD 57069
The Buhler Scholarship committee will review application materials. One student will be selected by the committee to receive the scholarship award. All candidates will be notified as to their status in the awarding of the scholarship.
If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact me.
Bruce C. Kelley, Ph.D.
Dean, College of Fine Arts
Professor of Music
University of South Dakota
605.658.3445 | www.usd.edu