FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
September 6, 2018
For more information, contact:
Shari Kosel, Program & Communications Director
Nominations open for 24th biennial Governor’s Awards in the Arts
Arts South Dakota and the South Dakota Arts Council co-sponsor the biennial Governor’s Awards in the Arts to recognize individuals and businesses that have made a statewide impact through artistic excellence or outstanding support of the arts.
Nominations are open through November 15. More information about the awards and nomination forms are available at ArtsSouthDakota.org. The classifications for these awards are:
- Distinction in Creative Achievement: Nominees in this lifetime achievement category should be individual artists who have made significant contributions in any of the various arts disciplines.
- Outstanding Service in Arts Education: Nominees in this lifetime achievement category should be individuals who have made significant contributions to arts education as a teacher, mentor or catalyst.
- Outstanding Support of the Arts by an Individual: Nominees in this lifetime achievement category should be individuals who have made outstanding contributions in supporting and encouraging the arts with their time, talent or funding.
- Outstanding Support of the Arts by an Organization or Business: Nominees in this lifetime achievement category should be an organization, business or corporation that has demonstrated leadership in supporting and encouraging the arts through time, talent and funding, or by funding and presenting projects by South Dakota artists for public education and enjoyment.
- Outstanding Support of the Arts to Native Nations with Lands in South Dakota: This award will be given to an individual, organization or business from South Dakota that has made significant contributions through the arts to Native nations with lands in South Dakota. The recipient will have demonstrated strong arts traditions and revitalization in Native communities by promoting social justice and cultural understanding.
The Governor’s Awards in the Arts will be presented at the Ramkota Hotel & Conference Center in Pierre on February 12, 2019. Recipients must be present to accept the award. Nominations may be made by an organization, institution or individual and must be postmarked no later than November 15, 2018. Employees and board members of Arts South Dakota and the South Dakota Arts Council are not eligible for these awards.
Materials to be submitted include one copy of the nomination form and a brief personal history of the nominee and summary of accomplishments of the nominee, no more than three pages in length. Samples or representations of artists work are encouraged and must be submitted in triplicate. Up to five letters of support may be submitted. All materials should be mailed to: Arts South Dakota, PO Box 2496, Sioux Falls, SD 57101 Phone: (605) 252-5979 or may be uploaded via ArtsSouthDakota.org.